I've loved the combination of sweet and salty for as long as I can remember. As a child, I always salted my watermelon slices. As a teen, I would dip my french fries into my chocolate shake!
But I'm not the only one: This combination of tastebud temptations — especially the pairing of chocolate and sea salt — seems to be a favorite of many.
This delicious brownie recipe couldn't be simpler, but is as decadent a dessert as you'll find in a fancy restaurant. I can prepare it in less than five minutes and then let it bake while we are eating dinner. It's the perfect dessert on a cold winter's night!
The best part? There are any number of flavor combinations you can make depending on your — or your family's — preferences.
Salted Caramel Skillet Brownie
- 1 box brownie mix plus water, oil, and eggs as called for on the box
- 1 salted caramel chocolate bar
- Caramel sauce
- Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 325˚F. Coat the bottom of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet (or another oven-safe pan) with cooking spray.
- Prepare brownie batter as directed on the box. Spread half the batter into the bottom of the skillet.
- Break chocolate bar into squares and arrange on top of batter. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle caramel sauce on top, sprinkle with sea salt, and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Other flavor combinations to try:
- Toffee & Almonds chocolate bar; top with toffee chips
- Chocolate-Raspberry bar; top with fresh raspberries and/or raspberry sauce
- Chocolate-Mint bar; top with crushed candy canes or serve with mint chocolate chip ice cream
Kyrie Collins is the publisher of Macaroni KID Highlands Ranch-Parker-Castle Rock-Lone Tree, Colo.